Property ownership is an excellent investment whether you’re looking for your dream home, a rental property, or to expand your investment portfolio. Owning real estate is one of the least risky ways to build equity or to obtain a greater return on your initial investment — if you’re financially ready, Canadian Mortgage & Housing Corporation (CMHC) recommends some things that you should consider when deciding to buy:
- Financial Security: Your home can provide you with financial security due to capital appreciation— as the value of your home increases over time, so does your equity.
- Stability: Having a place you can call your own.
- Financial Stress: Added financial responsibilities such as: coming up with the down payment, making regular mortgage payments and ongoing costs associated with home ownership can tie up a lot of you cash and put stress on your finances.
- Maintenance: Keeping your home in good shape requires time and money.
- Responsibility: You alone are responsible for payments, repairs, and maintenance.
- Flexibility: You can decorate or renovate your home to meet your family’s needs and personal tastes.
Would you like more detailed and personalized information about buying, including a read of our Buyer Information Guide? Enter your info below, or complete our free buyer consultation form.